Saturday, November 6, 2010

Seller Spotlight: Shopping*With*Gina

This is the third installment of my new monthly feature called "Seller Spotlight." Once a month, I will introduce you to a reputable eBay seller who lists quality Anthropologie items from past seasons. I wanted to create something that would benefit the community and hopefully turn you on to great deals from honest sellers who are the cream of the crop, as I know eBay can be a little intimidating.

This month's featured seller is Gina, who sells under the name Shopping*With*Gina on eBay. I first met Gina through a Facebook eBay sellers' discussion forum. The thing I first noticed about her is that she has a fantastic sense of humor! She's also very knowledgeable about her products and a very kind person who's genuinely interested in making sure the eBay experience is a pleasant one for both buyer and seller. Gina also runs her own consignment business and has her own website, which tells you more about her and her business (check it out here).

Here is my question-and-answer session with Gina; I hope you enjoy it!

(Q) How and when did you start selling on eBay?

(A) I can’t remember exactly how I first heard about eBay but I do remember how exciting it was to search for all my favorite brands. I would browse for hours and shop daily. After I got married, I had a part-time job in an office but I was looking for a way to fill my time while my husband was at work. I decided to see if I could make a little extra cash by selling the things in my now overflowing closet. The very first thing I listed was a red and white polka-dot Nine West shoulder bag. I remember it was bid up to $20 and I thought that was just the most amazing thing ever! I was addicted and there was no turning back. That was 10 years ago. Once my children came into the world I discovered the wonderful world of children’s boutique clothing. Buying it for my kids and reselling became a passion and obsession. (and a whole lot of fun!). Now, for the last 4 years I have devoted my eBay energy back towards what I do best – selling new and gently pre-owned women’s clothing, handbags and shoes. I’ve turned my eBay ‘hobby’ into a real and profitable business. I feel very fortunate to be able to stay at home with my kids and have a ‘career’ as well.

(Q) You also accept consignment clients and have your own website that gives details on the service. What do you look for in a consignment client, and what advice do you have for people who are considering consignment to weed out their closets?

(A) My consignment clients are women who love to keep their wardrobes fresh and exciting! They can feel good about buying something that might be a little pricey, knowing that they will be able to recoup some of that cost by consigning with me when they are ready to move on to something else. My advice for someone considering consignment is be ready and willing to let it go. We all have things in our closet that are beautiful but for whatever reason, just didn’t work for us. Time to let go of those things. Instead of letting them collect dust in your closet you can put them out there for the right owner to find and make a little cash for your effort.

(Q) How did you first discover Anthropologie, and what attracted you to the brand?

(A) I first discovered Anthropologie by word of mouth. My friends kept talking about this wonderful store with all its beautiful clothes. I had to see for myself and I was not disappointed! I love the whimsical quality of the clothes and the variety of style. The girl who loves Anthropologie is a free spirit but works hard for what she has. She cares deeply about beauty and fashion but isn’t trend obsessed. She loves to express her moods through her clothes. She’s fashionable, smart, romantic and dignified. Anthropologie seems to capture a feeling and turn it into an outfit including the perfect accessories.

(Q) Are there any pieces of Anthropologie clothing that you've sold that are your favorites?



(A) My favorite piece is probably the Chabana Dress by Corey Lynn Calter. It stands out in my mind because the young woman that bought it from me was so excited to finally find the dress in her size and for a reasonable price. She wrote me a lovely thank you note, telling me the dress was out of her budget when it first debuted at Anthropologie. She was patient and waited for it to show up on eBay. I was so happy to be able to fulfill her fashion wish and I am so glad that eBay makes this possible!

(Q) What advice do you have for Anthro collectors about buying and selling on eBay?

(A) My advice would be to take good care of your clothes if you plan to sell them on eBay when you’re done wearing them. When you buy on eBay, look at the seller’s reputation to make sure they take pride in their offerings. Once you find a seller who impresses you with quality and service, add them as a favorite and visit their store often. You never know when you might find that piece you’ve been looking for!

(Q) Can you talk a little bit about what you look for in clothing that you sell? What factors do you consider when accepting merchandise to sell?

(A) The most important thing to me when choosing clothing to consign and sell is quality. I am extremely picky and work diligently to make sure that my items are in top notch condition. Flawed items are listed only when the overall beauty of the item outweighs the issue. I know how disappointing it is to find that perfect item on eBay only to receive it and find a stain or other problem you didn’t expect. I want my pre-owned things to look new or almost new and be as described or better than described. No junk! Brand names are important on eBay but not all brand name clothes have an eBay following. Items should be fashionable either in the classic sense or by current trends. I also love vintage and wearable art pieces. Bottom line is I look for gently pre-owned higher end and/or beautiful items that I can offer for a fraction of the cost of retail.

I'd like to thank Gina for sharing her answers with us. Don't forget to check out all of Gina's listings in her eBay store; you can find it here. I've also included a permanent link to Shopping*With*Gina's eBay page on the side of my blog so you can check back in with her often. I hope you've liked this feature, and you can look forward to another installment next month!

If you are an eBay seller of Anthropologie items and would like to be featured on Seller Spotlight, please contact me via email at saraefarr(at)gmail.com